Short paper #2 will be based Week 7’s online class, other class readings and scholarly resources you find in the peer reviewed literature or from reputable news sources. It will consist of a 5-6 page paper discussing a Human Rights Based Approach to health care. In this paper you need to address the following points:
- How does the World Health Organization view healthcare (as a right or a privilege)? According to the WHO, what are the goals of a human rights based approach to health care?
- Using the WHO’s list of goals for universal health coverage, and their human rights approach, critique the US health system: Where is the US health system falling short (in other words, which of the WHO’s goals does it not meet)? Where is it succeeding (which goals does the US health system live up to)? Use scholarly resources (e.g. peer reviewed articles) and reputable online information (e.g. healthcare statistics and news articles) to back your claims.
- How might a human rights based approach and universal health coverage be used to change the US healthcare system, particularly in the areas of access, disparities, cost and quality?
- Do you agree with the WHO position? Why or why not? Offer support (e.g., ethical principles or economic rationale) to back your arguments and assertions. [For an example of a counterargument: Healthcare is a privilege, not a right, see: http://www.rwjf.org/en/culture-of-health/2013/08/right_privilege_or.htmlLinks to an external site.or: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953613003389Links to an external site.]
You will need to refer to the following readings for Short Paper #2.
- WHO: Health and Human Rights (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs323/en/(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- WHO guide to universal care(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.: http://www.who.int/features/qa/universal_health_coverage/en/
- who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs395/en/(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.