Week 4 Midterm Short-Essay Assignment
The Midterm Short-Essay Assignment includes five (5) short essay questions related to material covered during weeks one through four of the course. The assignment can only be submitted once and is due at the end of Week 4, Sunday, by 11:55 pm ET.
Responses should meet the minimum word count identified at the beginning of each question, include APA formatted in-text citations reference list at the end of each response. In a short essay response of at least 200 words, respond to the following. (50 points each)
1. Identify the shared symptoms of PTSD and TBI. Discuss the implications shared symptoms have on diagnosis and treatment outcomes for either or both conditions. Identify whether delays in treatment are related to greater losses in functioning and explain how these losses are seen.
2. Discuss combat stress reactions (CSR), clearly defining the concept in terms of adaptive and maladaptive reactions. Provide at least two (2) examples of each, adaptive and maladaptive CSRs, explaining how an individual is affected during combat when experiencing these reactions. In a short essay response of at least 125 words, respond to the following. (30 points)
3. Discuss the role of psychoeducation as a preventative and treatment method in the military. In your response, identify the five primary assumptions supporting the foundation of psychoeducation. In a short essay response of at least 100 words, respond to the following. (25 points each)
4. Discuss the history and development of the subfield of military psychology, specifically addressing the evolving uses of assessment in the field.
5. How does acute stress disorder (ASD) differ from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)? Include specific elements related to symptom manifestation, duration, and severity.
Satisfactory Needs Improvement Unsatisfactory Score Addresses question 162 points possible Student accurately and completely addresses the question, including detail, referring to course materials or other appropriate examples, demonstrating knowledge and comprehension of concepts.
Student accurately and completely addresses the question, detail and examples are not fully present; however, knowledge and comprehension of concepts are demonstrated. Student accurately responds to the question with no detail provided.
Student does not accurately respond to the question.
Support 18 possible points Student provides APA formatted in-text citations and a reference list at the close of the response.
Student provides in-text citations and a reference list at the close of the response; these are not formatted to APA style.
Students refers to sources, but does not include in-text citations or a reference list. No reference to or citation of sources is included. Total possible points 180