Within the profession of nursing, multiple theories, models, and conceptual frameworks have been created to serve as a foundation for practice. The purpose of this assignment is to appraise the value of the model in serving as a theoretical framework and apply the model to your selected area of future professional nursing practice (your MSN track). For this assignment, you will select one of the following nursing models to address within the paper: the Patient-Centred Nursing (PCN) Framework or the Chamberlain Care Model.
Through this assessment, the student will meet the following Course Outcomes:
- Apply nursing theory as a framework to guide the translation of knowledge and implementation of evidence-based practice in future professional settings. (CO #2)
- Analyze theories from nursing and relevant fields with respect to the components, relationships among the components, and application to advanced nursing practice. (CO#4)
Criteria for Content
Select one of the two models presented in the week five lesson (either the Person-Centred Nursing Framework, or the Chamberlain Care Model).
- In a three-
to four-page scholarly paper, address the following:
- Provide a succinct overview of the model you have selected and discuss how the selected model addresses the four concepts within the nursing metaparadigm (person, health, nursing, environment).
- Discuss how the selected model qualifies as a theoretical framework within the profession of nursing, and its use within the profession.
- Describe how the chosen model can be applied in the future APN role (education, executive, family nurse practitioner, healthcare policy, or nursing informatics).
Preparing the paper
- Application: Use Microsoft Word 2013™ to create the written assessment.
- Length: The paper (excluding the title page and reference page) is at least three and no more than four pages in length.
- A minimum of four (4) scholarly literature sources must be used.
- Submission: Submit your file to the Canvas course site by the due date/time indicated.
Best Practices in Preparing the Project
The following are best practices in preparing this project.
- Review directions thoroughly.
- Follow submission requirements.
- Make sure all elements on the grading rubric are included.
- Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.
- Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the 6th edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section of the paper except for the introduction where no heading is used.
- Ideas and information that come from scholarly literature must be cited and referenced correctly.
- A minimum of four (4) scholarly literature references must be used.
- Abide by CCN academic integrity policy.
|Introduction||18||10%||Introduction includes general statements on the value of nursing models as a framework for practice. State the selected model that will be analyzed, and the MSN track to which application will be presented. Identify sections of the paper. Provide citations from scholarly nursing sources to validate your assertions.|
|Overview of Selected Model||35||20%||Present a succinct overview of the selected model. Discuss the key concepts within the model. Explain how the model addresses each of the concepts within the metaparadigm (person, health, nursing, environment). Provide citations from scholarly nursing sources to validate your assertions.|
|Appraisal of the Model as a Nursing Theory||35||20%||Explain how the selected model qualifies as a theory to serve as a theoretical framework for nursing practice. Discuss how the model has been used within the profession. Provide citations from scholarly nursing sources to validate your assertions.|
|Application of the Model to Advanced Practice Nursing||35||20%||Discuss how the model can serve as a theoretical framework to inform and guide practice within your future master’s prepared role (educator, executive, family nurse practitioner, healthcare policy, or nursing informatics). Include one specific example which portrays application of the model to practice within your future master’s prepared role (educator, executive, family nurse practitioner, healthcare policy, or nursing informatics). Your example should be substantive, specific, and include a detailed description of how the model would be applied. The example may come from a published source, or it may be your own creative idea. Conventions of formal, scholarly writing should be used (do not use first person) Provide citations from scholarly nursing sources to validate your work.|
|Conclusion||25||15%||Provide a succinct conclusion to the paper, including the following elements: Concluding summary of the model and its value as a theoretical framework Proposed application of the model as a framework for practice in the selected master’s prepared roleSelf-reflection regarding what was learned from completing this assignment. Writing in the first-person may be included for the self-reflection.|
|APA Format||18||10%||Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the 6th edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section or topic of the paper (one deduction for each type of APA style error). Ideas and information that come from scholarly sources must be cited and referenced correctly. A minimum of four (4) scholarly references are used.|
|Writing Mechanics||9||5%||Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal written work as found in the 6th edition of the APA manual. For this assignment first person may be used.|
|Total||175||100%||A quality assignment will meet or exceed all the above requirements.|
Select either the PCN Framework or the Chamberlain Care Model.
Consider how the following components would be included in an analysis of the selected model:
- Origin of the model
- Meaning of the model
- Logical adequacy of the model
- Usefulness of the model
- Generalizability of the model
- Degree of parsimony within the model
- Testability of the model
What rationale can you provide which validates the selected model as a theoretical framework for nursing practice? Be sure to include scholarly references to support your discussion.
While the focus of this course is nursing theory, frequently the use of non-nursing or borrowed theories occurs. Identify your future nursing practice area. Discuss how a specific non-nursing (borrowed) theory has been or could be applied by nurses (specific to practice focus) to effectively deal with an issue. Be sure to provide an example of how the non-nursing theory can be used to enhance the selected practice area. Remember to include scholarly reference(s) to support your information.
Potential discussion topic focus areas:
- Nurse educator practice issues: student retention, faculty preparation, critical thinking skills.
- Nurse leaders or nurse managers – administrative issues: staffing, use of supplies, staff performance.
- Family nurse practitioner – clinical practice issues: chronic illness, aging population, social determinants of health.
- Healthcare policy practice issues – environmental health, healthy nurse initiative, childhood obesity.
- Nursing informatics practice issues – ergonomics, project management, staff development