Each paper should be on a topic of the student’s choice but directly related to a concept covered in our textbook reading or in-class discussions this semester. It is critical that the papers show that the student understands course material. It is critical that the topic and the student’s coverage clearly indicates how the course material relates to the topic.
The topic and coverage must be business related. The three-page paper should include approximately two pages of factual background and approximately one page of the student’s response and original opinion on the topic. See important due dates and other details on Blackboard.
Students that do not know how to submit a Blackboard submission should ask their instructor for directions at least one week before the due date. The submission link is available under the Semester Research Papers menu item in Blackboard.
Grading Criteria (77 points for each of the three papers – all points approximate):
Generally follow APA formatting guidelines – keep in mind that the specifications below are modifications of strict APA formatting guidelines ( 7 points — additional points will be deducted if excessive margins or large font size is used to reduce overall content within the three pages). 1″ margins on all sides point Times New Roman or other standard professional font. Running header with your name and page numbers and NO title page.
Proper use of APA citations with a well formatted bibliography. At least three credible sources. One can be your textbook. Leverage journal articles, library provided databases and other quality references. Protect yourself from potential issues of academic integrity relating to plagiarism by citing all external sources. Plagiarism will result in an automatic failing grade on the paper and could include a forced withdrawal from the course and failing grade in the course. In some cases academic integrity issues can result in expulsion from the college. ( 17 points )
Free of errors in sentence structure, capitalization and word usage. ( 7 points )
Proper use of business-related vocabulary and college-level general vocabulary use. Writer avoids use of slang, improper abbreviations and informal tone in paper. Avoid verbiage that includes hyperbole, clichés and unsubstantiated declaratory statements. ( 7 points ).
Organizational structure – the writer logically lays out ideas of the paper in welldeveloped paragraphs and transitions used to enhance organization. ( 7 points )
Clear connection to course material and clearly showing understanding of the materials in the factual portion of the paper. ( 15 points )
Clear connection to the course materials and clearly showing understanding of the materials in the response / opinion portion of the paper. ( 17 points )
Introduction to Business BUS121 Research Paper Topic Ideas
Your topic should have a connection to business and topics covered in our classroom or in your textbook. It does not need to be an exact topic discussed in class or covered in your textbook, but there does need to be a connection. Here are some ideas. You are not limited to these ideas, but these are ideas to get you started.
Please ask your instructor if you have any questions about these topics or need help getting started. If you need any assistance, at all including tips on how to get started (especially if this is your first college-level research paper), please ask early. If you need assistance, please contact your instructor, the reference library at the college library or the college writing center
• Take a current business situation in the news and examine how ethical issues are at play in the situation. You may want to consider the Wolverine Worldwide pollution issue unfolding now in Rockford, Michigan (near Grand Rapids) and across Michigan.
Examine an historical business situation and examine the ethical issues ADM (Price fixing) Enron Worldcom
The Nature of Competition
• Research a company or industry that enjoys an allowed monopoly (such as an electrical provider or the USPS).
• Economic Cycles – Study how historic economic downturns have influenced specific industries. Study how economic recoveries have historically influenced specific industries.
• The Environment and Ethics Love Canal – Hooker Chemical Bhopal Disaster – Union Carbide Montague, Michigan Area Contamination — Hooker Chemical
International Business – The consequence of tax policy on a company’s decision to do more or less business overseas. How do currency exchange rates impact business decisions about what markets they will target.
• How will Brexit impact US businesses
• How will reductions or increases in immigration impact business labor costs and unemployment rates
• How has 2018 tax changes impacted businesses and their decisions to keep or move manufacturing in the United States
• Analysis of a Fortune 500 business or local businesses that are making news.
• Franchises – Research the story of a company that tried to franchise, had some success and then failed. Create a paper comparing two different franchises (benefits and concerns) within a particular industry.
Maybe Wendy’s vs KFC
Maybe Great Clips vs SuperCuts vs SportClips
Red Roof Inn vs Super 8 vs Days Inn