ELFH 413 – Management of Diversity in Healthcare Organizations
Analysis of Organizational Diversity Practices (Hallmark Assessment Task)
This project provides you with the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills you develop in this course in an analysis of a contemporary healthcare organization. You may choose an organization with which you are personally familiar or any other healthcare organization that provides an adequate basis to conduct analysis.
You will extend analyses from your previous work aligned with the Organizational Snapshot Model.
- Kennedy, D. (2008).Putting our differences to work: The fastest way to innovation, leadership, and high
performance. San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
- Add additional sources if needed. Please use sources that are available to the public, not for purchase, and from the U.S.
Healthcare Organization/Fortune 500 Company
Global Organizational Diversity Analysis
To complete this assignment, you will:
- Choose an organization from the most current Fortune 500. Larger organizations typically have more information available about their diversity efforts as well as information about their leadership.
- Locate and summarize the information about the company’s diversity efforts.
- Locate information on the company’s executive (c-suite) leadership and board of directors. Ideally, you will need to find names as well as photos of these individuals to complete a thorough analysis. Report your findings in broad statements (e.g., a statement like “About two-thirds of the board of directors is male” is adequate for this assignment).
Reflect upon your findings. Specifically, describe whether or not you think the company’s leadership is a reflection of its diversity efforts and provide a summary analysis of why the current status exists. Based on course content, what practices could be adopted to help improve the diversity of the company leadership team (provide details on implementation and expected results)? This paper should be 2 to 3 pages (excluding title page or references) in APA style.
****Student may incorporate analyses and content from their completed formative assessments into this HAT.
Hallmark Assessment Description
Analysis of Organizational Diversity Practices
Purpose and Process: This project provides you with the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills you develop in this course in an analysis of a healthcare organization. The selected healthcare organization could be one with which you are personally familiar or an organization that you choose to investigate.
To complete the assignment, you will need to complete an “Organizational Snapshot” that is described in our Course textbook (Chapter 3). You may base the content of your analysis on interviews, news reports, your own observations, or publicly available information.
In conducting your interviews and research on this organization, you should consider the interaction between what you’re finding and the concepts, tools, and techniques introduced in your reading assignments from Kennedy (2008) as you conduct this analysis.
Product: The content of Organizational Diversity Practices Analysis will follow APA format standards, be between 12 to 21 pages (not including title page and references) and should include an Introduction and Conclusion section along with the following components (section titles are italicized):
- Brief history of organization overall and their approach to diversity. Make sure to include the number of employees, how long the organization has been in business, the industry it operates in, and any other relevant information.
- Utilizing the “Organizational Snapshot,” you should provide information on the current state of your organization’s diversity efforts. Briefly describe each area of assessment and consider questions like the following: What is the organization’s official diversity statement? How does it align with the mission of the organization? What initiatives are currently taking place to advance diversity?
- Recommendations:As a potential leader of this organization, what actions may be applied to enhance team effectiveness from a diversity perspective?
- In this section, consider the barriers and benefits to engaging in diversity efforts. For organizations with sophisticated diversity efforts already underway, include what additional initiatives or approaches might be beneficial (continuous improvement). What kinds of leadership capabilities would be necessary in your organization to increase the diversity/inclusion of the workforce?
- Building upon the information you have provided in the acceptance section, detail three specific goals related to diversity that your organization should consider undertaking. In detailing these goals, make sure to include the who, what, when, why, where, and how to have a complete description. How would you get people involved in these initiatives? What resources would be needed to put these goals into action to enhance team-building?
- Now that you have considered some specific diversity goals for the organization, think about who will be responsible for implementing those goals. In this section, you should consider your potential role as a leader in this organization even if you are not directly involved in diversity initiatives. What exactly should your role be in creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace? Who else can/should be responsible for these types of initiatives and how will accountability be upheld?
- This section should focus on measuring results as well as recognizing employees for their efforts. Include the business measures that should be impacted by increased diversity efforts and how those measures will be collected and reported (e.g. turnover, employee satisfaction, productivity, etc.). How will these figures help to tell the story of your proposed diversity goals? Additionally, include information about how to recognize good work and reward progress towards goals.
- More Action. In this section, you are required to think ahead to a future state of the organization being analyzed. The focus of your discussion should be on how to maintain momentum for diversity and inclusion efforts in the organization. While you would not know if the goals you described in the Action section were met or not, think generally about what kinds of initiatives, processes, or plans might keep employees engaged and moving towards the organization’s diversity goals as an effective team.
Hallmark Assessment Task (HAT) Assignment #1 Rubric
- Review, analyze, and ascertain the overall Diversity Course framework including – Race, Ethnicity, Culture, World View, Socio-economic Status, Gender, LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender), Military Status, Disability & Inclusion, Cultural Diversity, Multiculturalism, and Globalization.
- Analyze theoretical perspectives to champion diversity.
- Identify Global differences that are evident in today’s society.
- Demonstrate activities to accommodate global differences – and uncover how these activities might be relevant to cross-cultural understanding in the workplace.
- Examine the overall scope of the workplace, and how Cultural Diversity impacts the Human Resources field.
- Promote the development of good interpersonal relationships, in an inclusive workplace.
- Examine one’s own awareness of discrimination, equality and fairness in employment.
- Understand diversity legislation and compliance with legal, ethical and regulatory requirements from a global perspective.
- Plan strategies to leverage diverse contributions in the workplace and organizations.
- To examine leadership and diversity, in regard to a humanistic perspective.
- Design strategies to enhance cross-cultural awareness and an inclusive workforce, and plan objectives to leverage diverse contributions in the workplace.
- Convey respect toward different perspectives, cultures and socio-economic conditions.
- Adapt behavior to accommodate others and explain the impact of socio-psychological perspectives on behavior.
- Enhance World View and Global Perspectives within the workplace – to promote a more harmonious work environment that “raises the level of consciousness” regarding equity, equality, fairness, and inclusion.