Assignment 1: Need for Human Resources Management
Now that you have worked your way through Module 1, it is time to demonstrate your knowledge of the concepts introduced in the module by applying them to your own personal experiences. Assignment 1 is organized in three parts. Parts A, B, and C total 100 marks and will count for 15 per cent of your final course grade.
The mark distribution is as follows:
|Part A: Every Manager is an HR Manager||30|
|Part B: Responding to the Changing Environment||40|
|Part C: The Legal Environment||30|
Part A: Every Manager is an HR Manager (30 Marks)
Based on what you have learned in this module, reflect on the following:
- The role and responsibilities of HRM
- The relationship between the HR professional and the manager
- The role of the manager
Write a report approximately two pages in length (not more than 700 words), which should include your comments about the questions below.
- Human Resource is every manager’s business. Why is the management of human resources key to every management job in every organization, regardless of whether there is a human resources department in the organization? (20 marks)
- Describe your own view of how HR is managed within your organization. (10 marks)
Criteria for Evaluating Your Report
- Your report must incorporate some of the key concepts introduced in this module.
- You must demonstrate evidence of critical thinking and analysis.
- You must present a logical and persuasive argument.
- You must support your arguments with examples or illustrations from the textbook.
Part B: Responding to the Changing Environment (40 marks)
Human Resources professionals play an important role in environmental scanning to enable organizations to formulate their overall strategic business plans. Using your organization or an organization that you are familiar with, answer the following:
- Provide brief background information about your chosen organization, including the organization’s goals and values, business activity/activities, number of employees, etc. (5 marks)
- Conduct a SWOT analysis for your organization identifying the organization’s internal strengths and weaknesses as well as the external opportunities and threats.
- Comment on the business challenges and trends affecting your organization today, including changing demographics, increasing workforce diversity, aging employees, skills shortages, etc. (25 marks)
- Explain the organizations’ key goals for the next year and explain how it will achieve these goals through effective management and organization of its people.
- Will changes in staffing levels be needed; are employees with new skills be required? (10 marks)
Part C: The Legal Environment (30 marks)
Research the employment legislation in the jurisdiction you are working in. Explain the implications of these laws on HRM policies and practices that you encounter. To assist you in answering the questions, refer to Chapter 2 of your textbook, and also Topic 4 of Module 1. Your written answer should not be more than two pages or 500 words.
Submit your assignment (Parts A, B, and C) by using the “Assignment 1 submission tool”. Be sure to save your assignment as a Word document and name it: A1_HRMN2821_Last name. Please do not break your assignment into separate word files; save all your work for this assignment as one .docx file.
- Did you put your name and student number on the document?
- Did you complete all the required elements and clearly label the parts?
- Did you use information and terminology learned in this module?
- Did you support your statements with specific examples?
- Did you cite references, using correct APA referencing format (including your textbook)?
- Did you ensure that there are no spelling mistakes?
- Is your report grammatically correct, clear, and well organized?