Supervision over the Agencies Effectuating Inquiry and Pre-trial Investigation;
Assignment: Read Law on Procuracy, Chapter 2, Article 11; Instruction on Supervision of Legality of Pre-trial Investigation approved by Procurator Ganeral on March 30, 2015 No.50; Vinokurov Textbook, Chapter 10, pages 212-248;
Old Law on Procuracy (1995):
Article 37. Content and Subject of Supervision.
Procurator performs supervision over legality of acts and actions of inquiry bodies and investigation bodies, over compliance with the order of response to application and notifications about the crime committed and their investigation established by the law.
Article 38. Authorities of Procurator to Provide for Legality of Pre-Trial Investigation.
1) receives from bodies of preliminary investigation criminal cases, documents, materials and other information about criminal violations, about operative-search activity, unofficial investigative actions, pre-trial investigation for further inspection;
2) inspects compliance with legal requirements at receiving, registration and response to the applications and notifications about the committed or prepared crimes;
3) supports or refuses to support motions of criminal investigation bodies to investigative judge to grant sanction for arrest or house arrest of a suspect/indicted, to grant sanction of bail;
4) starts or conducts when necessary pre-trial investigation, gives instructions on pre-trial investigation;
5) annuls resolutions of persons who conduct pre-trial investigation if they do not conform to the law;
6) raises the issue on responsibility of officials who violated rights of participants of the criminal procedure or other citizens or used illegal methods of investigation;
7) returns criminal cases for additional investigation or terminated criminal case in whole volume or with regard to a certain person when preliminary investigation was not fully completed or when violation of law was committed;
8) confirms indictment act, protocol on criminal mis-demeanor, transfers criminal case to the court for trial;
9) when necessary, demands from heads of investigative bodies and bodies of inquiry supervision over subordinates with the aim of eliminating of law violations and facilitating process of speedy solving of all the crimes;
10) responds to the complaints on actions or non-actions of persons who conduct pre-trial investigation or heads of bodies of pre-trial investigation;
11) supervises conformance with the established by the law order and conditions of detention under arrest of individuals who were placed under this measure of restraint;
12) performs other duties and authorities granted by the law.
Criminal Procedure Code:
Article 193. Authorities of Procurator
1) register statements about crimes, transfers them to the bodies of criminal prosecution or takes them for pre-trial investigation;
2) transfers statements about crimes and materials attached thereto from one body of criminal prosecution to another body in accordance with jurisdiction;
3) perform supervision over legality of registration of statements and information about crimes;
4) have the right to participate in the inspection of the place of the event, as well as to perform other acts within his authority in accordance with this Code;
5) issue written instructions on the performance of investigative acts;
6) in cases provided for by the Code, sanction acts of the officials, who perform preliminary investigation;
7) in cases and through procedure provided for by the Code, give written instruction on the attachment of the results of unofficial investigative activities to the pre-trial investigation materials;
8) submit proposal to receive approval for holding of the person, who has immunity from criminal prosecution, criminally liable;
9) receive criminal cases, documents, materials and other information on the committed crimes, the course of the operational search activities including unofficial investigative actions, transfers criminal cases that had pre-trial investigation interrupted for further investigation;
10) abolish unlawful resolutions of the interrogating officer and investigator, as well as of the heads of the body of inquiry and investigation department;
11) return the criminal case for additional investigation or terminate it in its full volume or in respect of specific persons;
12) withdraw a criminal case from the body of preliminary investigation and transfer it to the other body of preliminary investigation; in exceptional cases for the purposes of ensuring the fullness and the objectiveness of the investigation, pursuant to a written petition of the body of criminal prosecution or pursuant to his own initiative, transfer a case from he body of preliminary investigation to another, or assume it to his performance and investigate it irrespective of the jurisdiction established by this Code;
13) in cases and through procedure provided for by the Code, extend periods of pre-trial investigation in cases, also in cases provided by parts seven and eight of Article 192 of the Code, defines the term of pre-trial investigation;
14) participates in hearings by investigative judge in cases provided by the Code;
15) review the compliance with the procedure established by legislation, as well as conditions for the detention of persons in respect of whom arrest is selected as a measure of restraint;
16) approve indictment or protocol on criminal action, transfer criminal case to the court for trial;
17) approve resolution of an investigative body on termination of pre-trial investigation in accordance with the Code;
18) organise investigative actions in accordance with a decree of the court that are attached to the materials of the trial on motion of procurator;
19) initiate and enter into plea bargain agreements;
20) exercise other powers provided for by law.
Heads of procuracies have exclusive authority to:
1) enter into procedural agreement on cooperation;
2) annul illegal resolutions of investigator, inquiry officer, body of inquiry, as well as resolutions and orders of heads of investigative bodies and bodies of inquiry, and a subordinate procurator;
3) take a criminal case from the person who conducts pre-trial investigation or from the body of pre-trial investigation and transfer it to another person or body for continuing pre-trial investigation;
4) submits request for receiving permission for criminal prosecution of persons who have immunity or privileges with regard to criminal prosecution;
5) prolong the term of pre-trial investigation;
6) respond to complaints on actions and decisions of investigator, inquiry officer, body of inquiry, head of investigative body or body of inquiry, as well as subordinate procurator;
7) to suspend investigator, inquiry officer from pre-trial investigation of criminal case when he admitted violations of law;
8) confirms resolution of procedural prosecutor to return criminal case for additional investigation;
Authorities of heads of procuracies listed in items 2), 3), 6), 7) and 8) of this part may be performed by the heads of departments of General Procuracy, procuracies of regions and equivalent procuracies, that conduct supervision over legality of pre-trial stage of criminal process.
Procedural procurator carries out supervision of pre-trial investigation from its beginning and acts as prosecutor in the trial on that case as public prosecutor.
Procedural procurator should not be replaced except for the cases provided by the normative acts of Procurator General when head of procuracy makes decision to change him with another procurator.
Definition of Procuracy Supervision Over Bodies of Inquiry and Preliminary Investigation:
Supervision over pre-trial investigation is part of activity of procuracy that consists of organisation of permanent and constant supervision over inquiry and preliminary investigation with the use of powerful authorities that are granted to the prosecutor by the criminal procedure law with the objective of achieving legality of the pre-trial investigative process and realisation of the purpose of criminal procedure, so that no act or action of inquiry officer or investigator violates the law.
This supervision of procuracy is carried to ensure that
The following are the bodies of preliminary investigation:
1) procuracy investigators;
2) investigators of internal affairs departments;
2) investigators of national security committee;
3) investigators of anti-corruption service;
4) investigators of economical crimes service;
The following shall be the bodies of inquiry:
1) the bodies of internal affairs;
2) the bodies of national security;
3) anti-corruption service;
4) economical crimes service;
5) the bodies of military police;
6) bodies of frontier services;
7) commanders of military units, formations, heads of military institutions and garrisons;
8) heads of diplomatic representations, consular institutions and plenipotentiary representations of the Republic of Kazakhstan on the cases of crimes committed by their employees in the country of their stay;
9) service of state security.
Main Forms of Supervision:
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more