The Great Depression vs. The Great Recession Compare these two historic events. Research these two topics, answer the question provided and provide a detailed analysis of what you have found. Use as many mediums as you can to convey your message. Use: stats, movies, radio shows, other pop culture mediums, print, advertising. What was the culture like of the 1920s and of early 2000?
What are some of the pop culture phenomenon that you can point out (think of movies, radio shows, print culture, and advertising)? Compare and contrast. What were some of the causes of both?
Think about Fitzgerald’s’ Winter Dreams and how his writing reflects this. How did the wars (European and American) contribute to the culture prior to the 20s and to the great depression? Be specific about your causes. What were the results of both?
How did it affect the country? What happened at the social level vs. the aristocratic level? Compare and contrast. Were there any long term or residual effects? How did we (should we) fix the problem at hand based on the findings and information that we have can we fix our problem similarly to how the 30s generation dealt with it?
- National Intelligence Council (NIC). (2012). Global trends 2030: Alternative worlds. Washington DC: Chairman of the National Intelligence Council, 107-133. Retrieved from http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/GlobalTrends_2030.pdf
- This article discusses four probable future worlds, in relation to global politics and international relations, which may exist in the future.
- Ruane, A. E., & James, P. (2008). The international relations of Middle Earth: Learning from The Lord of the Rings. International Studies Perspectives, 9(4), 377-394. Retrieved from the EBSCOhost database.
- This article uses characters from The Lord of the Rings to explain various theories that are related to international relations.
- Summarize the advantages and disadvantages of one of the following four schools of thought: realism, liberalism, economic structuralism, or English School of rationalism. Compare and contrast your summary to one of the following theories: constructivism, feminism, postmodernism, or critical theory. Use the article, “The International Relations of Middle Earth: Learning from The Lord of the Rings” to ensure that you have a solid understanding of each of the schools of thought and each of the theories. Incorporate specific examples from the article and your readings.
Your initial post should be 250-300 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references.
- Future Worlds
International relations evolve in a geopolitical environment driven by numerous and varied global trends. These global trends have shaped our world, as they do now and will continue to do so. Review the four potential future scenarios presented in the National Intelligence Council’s publication Global Trends 2030: Alternative Worlds. Read each “Alternative World” and discuss one scenario that you find interesting or surprising. In particular, describe features of the scenario that discuss security, identity, and economic issues.